FLEET MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT MANAGER
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Salary Range: $70,149.00 To 87,686.00 Annually JOB SUMMARY Under
limited supervision, performs technical, supervisory, and
administrative duties in supervising, monitoring, and participating
in the maintenance and repair of Town vehicles and light/heavy
equipment. Work involves directing the personnel and resources of
the Fleet Management to ensure that all Town departments motor
vehicle needs are met with the policies of the Town; and ensuring
that the diverse vehicle-related needs of the Town are met in the
safest, most reliable cost-effective manner possible. - ESSENTIAL
- Supervises department employees which involves such duties as
instructing, assigning and reviewing work, maintaining standards,
acting on employee problems, selecting new employees, appraising
employee performance, recommending promotions, discipline,
termination and salary increases. -
- Plans, establishes, and directs a centralized light, heavy, and
emergency duty fleet management program which monitors and controls
the safe, reliable, and cost-effective utilization and maintenance
of all Town vehicles and equipment. -
- Formulates and implements uniform fleet management policies
which meet the diverse needs of departments throughout the Town in
a fair and equitable manner; identifies and corrects
inconsistencies across each department. -
- Manages the maintenance and outside repairs of all Town vehicle
refueling site, vehicles, and emergency generators; implements and
monitors procedures minimizing the number of repairs to be
performed by outside contractors; and coordinates the installation
and setup of equipment to increase the efficiency and
responsiveness to all Town departments. -
- Establishes and administers cost accounting and computerized
information programs to evaluate fleet related performance, to aid
in policy planning and day-to-day management decisions, and to
ensure maximum serviceability of operations for minimum cost.
- Manages the personnel function of the department by
establishing performance standards, setting achievement goals,
performing employee performance appraisals, administering the
discipline policy, providing staff training and development, and
recruiting qualified personnel. -
- Prepares and consults with each department on the development
of specifications for the requisition of vehicles and equipment and
the purchasing and disposition of Town equipment and vehicles for
budgeting and cost control purposes. -
- Prepares and administers the fleet program budget; advises
departments of new developments related to fleet operations. -
- Meets regularly with department heads and other Town personnel
to ensure effective communication of fleet management policies,
coordination of fleet operations throughout the Town, and adherence
to overall fleet management goals and objectives. -
- Ascertains that repairs and overhauls are made in accordance
with the latest standards and techniques. -
- Provides technical support to all departments; handles the
responsibility of vehicle and equipment warranty claims. -
- Executes and designates portion of hurricane/disaster
preparation and relief plans. -
- Maintains a close liaison with the National Guard. -
- Remains subject to twenty-four call-ins for critical repairs.
- Receives and/or reviews a variety of records and reports such
as personnel report, daily scheduling report, morning operators
report on broken equipment, Technician's report on work load and
previous day repairs, and department and preventative maintenance
vehicle list. -
- Prepares and/or processes a variety of documentation such as
departmental budget, fuel usage reports, repair/cost per mile
reports, request for proposal specifications, and overdue
preventative maintenance list/open work orders. -
- Refers to daily news, newspaper, Internet, department heads and
Technicians, part suppliers, fleet organization subscriptions,
policy and procedure manuals, codes/laws/regulations, publications
and reference texts, etc. -
- Operates a variety of vehicles, equipment, and machinery (such
as aerial fire apparatus, dozer, excavator, backhoe, emergency
generators, cars, light vehicles, medium duty trucks, refueling
site fuel pumps, desktop and laptop computer, business card
scanner, camera, diagnostic systems, etc.). -
- Uses a variety of tools (such as cell phone, diagnostic tools,
hand tools, etc.); a variety of supplies (such as paper,
cartridges, motor oil, hydraulic fluid, chassis grease, repair
parts, compressed air, general office supplies, etc.); and a
variety of computer software (such as fleet management software,
Word Perfect, diagnostic software, CAD, scanning software, photo
software, etc.). -
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals
(such as Town Administrator, other department heads and employees,
subordinates, vendors/sales representatives, outside repair/service
persons, other government agencies, and the general public). -
- Performs general administrative work as required, including but
not limited to preparing reports and correspondence, entering and
retrieving computer data, copying and filing documents, conducting
and attending meetings, etc. -
- Provides assistance to coworkers and/or performs those
responsibilities as necessary to maintain standards of operation.
- Performs necessary repairs on department emergency generators.
- Performs pick up of parts as needed from suppliers. -
- Transports vehicles to and from dealerships for warranty
- Writes work orders. -
- Performs general housekeeping (such as cleaning restrooms,
washing vehicles, striping vehicles, etc.). -
- Makes signs as needed for other departments as needed. -
- Cuts and tags keys for vehicles. -
- Removes and installs accessory equipment in vehicles. -
- Performs other related duties as required. - To perform this
job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the
essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
primary job functions herein described. - MINIMUM EDUCATION AND
EXPERIENCE Requires an Associate's degree plus two years'
additional coursework in the service and repair of mechanical
systems (gasoline and diesel) supplemented by six to nine years'
experience in the repair of vehicles and light and heavy equipment;
or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must
possess a valid South Carolina driver's license. Must have
successfully completed required courses and certification(s) as
deemed necessary by the Town. - KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the methods, procedures and policies of the
Vehicle Maintenance Department as they pertain to the performance
of duties of the Fleet Maintenance Manager.
- Knowledge of the functions and interrelationships of the Town
and other governmental agencies.
- Knowledge of the laws, ordinances, standards and regulations
pertaining to the specific duties and responsibilities of the
- Knowledge of the principles of fleet management.
- Knowledge of how to plan, organize, and direct a maintenance
- Knowledge of the standard tools, equipment, materials, and
practices used in the maintenance and repair of gas- and
diesel-fueled vehicles and equipment.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of
- Knowledge of administrative principles involved in developing,
directing and supervising various programs and related
- Knowledge of proper English usage, punctuation, spelling and
- Knowledge of the terminology and various professional languages
used within the department.
- Knowledge of how to maintain effective relationships with
personnel of other departments, professionals and members of the
public through contact and cooperation.
- Knowledge of how to react calmly and quickly in emergency
- Skill in the care and use of required tools and equipment.
- Skill in organization, technical work, and human
- Ability to ensure department compliance with all laws and
regulations and control the activities of the division through
- Ability to diagnose and make repairs and adjustments to
automobiles and equipment.
- Ability to offer instruction and advice to subordinates
regarding departmental policies, methods and regulations.
- Ability to perform employee evaluations and to make
recommendations based on results.
- Ability to offer training and assistance to co-workers and
employees of other departments as required.
- Ability to take the initiative to complete the duties of the
position without the need of direct supervision.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize daily assignments and
- Ability to learn and utilize new skills and information to
improve job performance and efficiency.
- Ability to compile, organize and utilize various financial
information necessary in the preparation of the department budget,
and knowledge of how to prepare and monitor the budget.
- Ability to read and interpret various materials pertaining to
the responsibilities of the job.
- Ability to prepare reports and correspondence with accuracy and
in a timely manner. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS Tasks involve the ability
to exert moderate, though not constant, physical effort, typically
involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and
crawling, and which involves some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or
pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (up to 20
pounds) and occasionally heavy weight (up to 80 pounds). -
-SC Retirement System
-401k deferred compensation
-457b deferred compensation
-Holiday Leave (12 holidays)
-Flexible Spending Accounts
-Other Voluntary Insurance
The Town of Summerville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will
recruit and hire employees without regard to race, religion, color,
national origin, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy,
childbirth, and related conditions), age, political affiliation or
disability, except when physical condition is a bona fide
occupational qualification, and any other status protected by
federal or state law. APPLICATION SPECIAL INSTRUCTION Please upload
your resume and a list of references.
Keywords: Summervillesc, Summerville , FLEET MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT MANAGER, Executive , Summerville, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...